Email This Story :
Feb 25, 2009 (DVB), A fire in Rangoon division's Daw Pon township yesterday afternoon damaged a plastics factory but caused no casualties, according to local residents.
A resident of Daw Pon said the Popular plastics factory in Nwe Lay ward was partly destroyed after one of its power generators caught fire at around 1pm.
People from the ward who arrived on the scene were prevented from entering the factory compound to assist in putting out the fire by voluntary fire fighters, the resident said.
An officer on duty at Daw Pon police station said about 16 fire-trucks from Rangoon arrived 15 minutes later and the fire was completely extinguished by around 1.50pm.
"The living quarters [of the factory] did not catch fire, so there were no casualties," said the officer.
The cost of the damage has not yet been assessed.
Another local in Daw Pon said a school near the factory where students were sitting their end of year examinations was also shut down when the fire broke out.
Reporting by Ahunt Phone Myat