DVB Multimedia Group

Burmese Site
  • News
    • Business
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Media
    • Politics
  • Lifestyle
    • Culture
    • Sport
    • Travel & Tourism
    • Society
  • Opinion & Analysis
    • Interview
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Features
  • Advertise
    • Visit us on FacebookVisit us on Facebook
    • Follow us on TwitterFollow us on Twitter
    DVB Multimedia Group

    Lead Story Media News

    Censorship system reintroduced for direct-to-video films

    File photo of a theatre at the Sundance Film Festival (WIKICOMMONS) File photo of a theatre at the Sundance Film Festival (WIKICOMMONS)
    • By THIKE ZIN
    • 22 October 2014
    • Print
      • Tweet

    Email This Story :

    • Send Story

    An official from Burma’s Motion Picture and Video Censor Board, a body under the Ministry of Information, defended the government’s decision to reintroduce censorship for direct-to-video films, claiming the old rules are necessary because many recent movies have portrayed behaviour that runs counter to Burmese culture.

    The movie censorship board announced earlier this year that, beginning on 1 December, such films will be subject to the old censorship system, whereby they are required to be evaluated and approved by the censor board prior to distribution.

    Tin Nyein, a board member, said the decision was not designed to keep the film industry under government control; rather, it was a response to the large number of sexually-explicit films released in recent years that are offensive to certain religious beliefs.

    Director Thaw Ko Ko Kyaw said the censorship board official’s explanation for censoring direct-to-video movies was acceptable, but that it would be more convenient for producers to submit their scripts to the board prior to production. Under the reintroduced rules, producers are essentially forced to complete the entire film first and run the risk that parts of the film will be censored after finishing the production. As a result, if part of a movie is censored filmmakers might have no choice but to spend more time to produce a final version that doesn’t appear disjointed.

    Related Stories

    • Thiha Saw (standing, right) speaks to DVB staff about a new code of ethics introduced by the interim Press Council in August 2014. (Photo: DVB) Four years on, still no consensus on Press Council
    • Aung Ko: A ‘traitor’ to his party, but loyal to his country
    • Broadcast Law gives state media unfair edge, say private outlets

    Before government censorship was abolished three years ago, it was widely criticised as the primary reason why Burma’s film industry declined. However, actor Nay Dwe Zaw said there has not been any improvement in Burmese films since censorship was abolished—only an increase in sexual content.

    Tags: censorshipCensorship boardfilmsMade-for-videoMinistry of InformationReligion

    • Previous story Bullet Points: 22 October 2014
    • Next story Koh Tao suspects recant confessions as parents arrive

      Related Stories

    • Thiha Saw (standing, right) speaks to DVB staff about a new code of ethics introduced by the interim Press Council in August 2014. (Photo: DVB) Four years on, still no consensus on Press Council
    • Thura Aung Ko (Photo: Thura Aung Ko / Facebook) Aung Ko: A ‘traitor’ to his party, but loyal to his country
    • Information Minister Ye Htut speaks at the Myanmar Media Law Conference on March 19, 2016. (Photo: DVB) Broadcast Law gives state media unfair edge, say private outlets
    • USDP's Shwe Mann takes to the streets of Phyu to woo voters with promises of better services, on 11 September 2015. (PHOTO: DVB) Shwe Mann condemns ‘abuse of religion’

    Leave a Reply Cancel reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    • Talk to DVB

      Newsletter

      job announcement

    • Opinion & Analysis

      • Delight and disquiet — mixed emotions on Burma’s historic day By THIN LEI WIN MYANMAR NOW
      • As Thein Sein exits, his reform legacy gains mixed reviews By SWE WIN MYANMAR NOW
      • Editorial: Popham stirs the pot, again By DVB
    • The procedure room in Mae Tao Clinic, where women suffering from failed abortion attempts are treated. (PHOTO: KIMBERLEY PHILLIPS/ DVB)
      Featured StoryBurma’s deadly abortion taboo
    • Books on Burma
    • More : Feature

      • The 12-year-old son of Burmese migrants picks potatoes in a field in Thailand's Tak Province. (Screenshot/DVB) Migrant children left out of new democracy
      • Lacking support, Burma’s mental health patients suffer in silence
      • Meet the Burmese women tackling tradition and taboo
      • Breaking the silence on youth depression in Burma
      • Age-old tonic for Burma’s ailing healthcare system
    • In Photos

      • 1610013_842269809234604_5262399370770704005_n gallery

        Happy Holi days in Rangoon

      • (PHOTO: Bai Rui Ming) gallery

        PHOTOS: Big turnout across Kachin State

      • The neon coloured ferris wheel was a main attraction for many. (PHOTO: DVB) gallery

        In photos: Thadingyut 2015, Rangoon

      • Artists, activists and musicians attended the rally to support NLD, including rapper Anegga (fourth from left), Min Ko Naing (centre, white shirt) and reggae artist Saw Phoe Khwar (far right). (PHOTO: DVB) gallery

        IN PHOTOS: NLD draws activists, musicians to Rangoon rally

      • Sunset over the Irrawaddy. (PHOTO: Colin Hinshelwood/DVB) gallery

        IN PHOTOS: Flow of the Irrawaddy

    • Khan lessons on DVB
    • Home
    • Lead Story
    • Censorship system reintroduced for direct-to-video films
    • News
      • Business
      • Environment
      • Health
      • Media
      • Politics
    • Analysis
    • Photos
    • Video
    • About
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Donate – Support our work!
    • Advertise
    • Visit us on FacebookVisit us on Facebook
    • Follow us on TwitterFollow us on Twitter

    © Copyright 2013 DVB Multimedia Group