Email This Story :
July 30, 2009 (DVB), The Burmese government today confirmed the tenth case of the A(H1N1) swine flu virus, that of a 57-year-old man who had recently returned from Singapore.
The latest victim was transferred to Rangoon General Hospital on Tuesday after he displayed flu-like symptoms, and was confirmed as carrying the virus.
The case mirrors that of Burma's first A(H1N1) victim who was hospitalized after returning from a trip to Singapore last month. The 13-year-old girl has since been released.
The state-run New Light of Myanmar newspaper today said that 13 people related to the latest victim have been quarantined, while health authorities are keeping a close eye on the 74 passengers who were on the flight returning from Singapore.
Only six of the ten cases remain in hospital, and no deaths from the virus have yet been reported in Burma.
"So far, the National Health Laboratory has examined 107 suspected patients and only ten were found A (H1N1) positive," said the newspaper.
In its most recent update, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday that 816 deaths from the virus had been reported worldwide, a 50 percent increase from the three weeks prior.
The total number of cases worldwide has reached 134,503, with the United States reporting the most.
Reporting by Francis Wade