DVB Multimedia Group

18 luxury chalets burnt down by fireworks at Inle Lake festival

PHOTO: Inle Khaung Daing Village Resort

Eighteen floating bungalows at the Inle Khaung Daing Village Resort on the west bank of Inle Lake were burnt down in a blaze caused by fireworks fired from a hot air balloon on 16 December. No casualties were reported.

The incident happened during a local pagoda festival at the popular Shan state holiday destination.

A staff member from the Hupin Hotel, which oversees the Inle Khaung Daing Village Resort, told DVB that 18 wooden and bamboo bungalows were devastated by a fire at around 9:30 in the evening when the fireworks from the balloon fell on chalet rooftops.

Fire engines from nearby Nyaungshwe, Shwenyaung, Aye Tharyar and Taungyi towns were called into to put out the fire. There have been no reports of legal action for damages to the hotel.